Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tequila, it does bring you Happiness

Many people have asked me for the story about how Matt proposed in Paris. So I thought why not share it here.

1st things 1st a background on our relationship. Yesterday I meantioned that my story was like a bad romance novel or a chick flick. in a way it really is. I 1st met Matt at the beginning of June 2008. Literally days after arriving in Sydney. We were introduced through my brother Stephen at a bar in Newtown. Lets just say we didnt hit it off at all and that continued for about 3 - 4 months. I found Matt extremely arrogant, One of those "I know everything and ill argue my point even when im wrong" kind of people( we all know them). Unfortunately im the kind of person when I know im right wont back down so I got into many a heated arguement with him. I had a severe dislike for the guy and often left the pub because of it. Looking back on it we sometimes wonder whether we had felt a spark back then and just tried hiding it by being nasty to each other. Also Matt did confess that he used to argue points he knew he was wrong about because it was fun having someone to debate with??? FUN? SERIOUS? it was not fun!!!!!

So where did that change. I Bumped into Matt at Kings Cross station one evening when he was on his way home from work. We chatted like "normal people" aka not biting the head of each other. Although for some people that is the norm.. We had discussions and not arguements for the 1st time since we met. From that day forward we were friends.

I noticed by about June 09 that my feelings for Matt we changing again and by mid July I was thinking his were too. There were the usual hints and signs which I wont bore you with. Anyways after our friend Naomi's Birthday picnic in Camperdown park we all headed back to Kellys on King (the local haunt) to continue the celebration. Matt had been working but joined up with everyone in Kellys after work. By 5 or 6 feeling quite tipsy at the time. Arran a friend convinced myself and Matt to join him at his Bimbo Bingo (seriously the chick that was hosting it was SLOW). Were we got completely smashed. In the words of Terrorvission "Oh Tequila, it makes you happy". Listen here That was the night oh many Tequilas that resulted in us getting together and being inseperatable ever since. Seriously we disgust our friends still.

Ok so you have the background now on to the proposal.
lets just say I had an idea it was coming and when I say I had an idea, basically I mean Matt told me one night a couple of months before the trip that he was planning on asking me on top of the Eiffel tower. To which my response was "don't you dare do that its such a cliche" and he responded "Oh" :p
So there we were on top of the Eiffel Tower, which to me was the most unromantic place in the world. it took 2.5 hours to get up to the top and it was packed. The wind was howling and anyone that knows me knows i hate highs so i was shitting myself and thinking at the same time please not here, please not here. Thankfully it wasnt there. Phew!! It came to our last night after 3 days in Paris and I started wondering if he was going  toask. Maybe i didnt remember telling me that night or he said it just to make me smile. We were sitting in the terrace area of Chez Felicie, Montparnasse after have dinner. We were chatting(and sickingly gazing at each other) about our whole trip and about how sad we were to be going home to Sydney the next morning. Matts look changed. and the following to the best of my knowledge happened.

Me: Why are you looking at me like that?
Matt: What do you mean?
Me: Your looking at me funny!
Matt (smiling): Ok so you told me not to do it on the Eiffel Tower (he remembered) and I've been trying to find the best moment all weekend. I have a question to ask you. I can get down on one knee if you like?
Me: Oh god no please dont do that!
Matt: What ask you a question or get down on one knee?
Me (freaking out): Please dont get down on one knee, people will look.
*Que soppiness*
Matt: I have never felt for anyone else the way I feel about you and ive never been in a relationship that was so easy. I love you Claire and I want you to be my wife. Will you marry me?
I was crying and speachless so I kissed him.
Matt: I take that as a yes then?
I nodded. Matt got teary and knocked back the rest of his wine to calm his nerves and ordered another...

No comments:

Post a Comment