Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I did not Defy Gravity at my audition

Well I said id let you know how my audition went. I stuck with a song I knew one that I have used successfully before for my leaving cert practical and an audition about 8 years ago. One I have sang recently at karaoke and it sounded great. Last night I sounded like i had only heard the song once. Like I was winging it. :(

I spent yesterday sitting at the piano ensuring that I had it perfect playing and singing along. but as the time got closer to going to the audition I started freaking out. I spoke with Matty and begged him to come with me for support. I needed my rock (he wasnt much of a rock, more of a hungry, cranky, tired matty ah well).

We got there super early. Everyone was really nice and I was feeling relaxed. Then the reality sunk in that everyone knew each other and I knew no one. this made the nerves come on again. Matt started up a conversation with an English guy Richard who hadnt auditioned for a show in 10 years(last one was with AMS and they remembered him). So that didnt make me feel so bad. He also had no song prepared and was going to ask for a list of music they had.

2 people had already been called in before me so I figured i was next. it was after all the time I was alocated. The 1st lady obviously a regular was fine she didnt want to audition for any specific role just wanted to be in the show (much like me). The guy after here was about 18 and he clearly done loads of shows with them he was taking it serious. He had a 1st choice and a 2nd and 3rd role choice. he had me nervous. some girl came in and kept singing to herself I dont think she has worked with AMS before either. she seemed a bit cocky. On the form you have to fill in any productions you have been in roles societies etc. She goes "do you really want me to fill this in or can i just attach my portfolio" the guys at the desk rolled there eyes and said attaching is fine. So im like great she has loads of experience, this will be like going up against, Will, Kate, Leah and Swaddles for a part.

The guy that went in second came out with one of the ladies from inside and they called the english guy richards in. They all went back into the room togeather. Matt thought that was weird. He came out with an Orange folder as did the guy who went in second (he also had what looked like a script, guess they had a role for both of them).

Then I got called I. I had gotten advise from friends who have done many auditions before. So I did what they said. I walked in confidient. introduced myself. gave my music to the pianist, explained where I would like to start told the panel the same. They told me to stand in the middle of the hall. I started freaking out. The 3 ladies were staring right at me. then the music kicked in. I wasnt  ready. the first 3 words didnt even come out of my mouth and the rest were all over the place. I relaxed a couple of times and sounded fine but the nerves kept shining through. Like Ms Agularia at the superbowl I was forgetting the words. luckly I had the written down. Then I just had to stop I couldnt go on. I felt like crying.

The ladies were lovely. Really understanding too. I appologised saying that my nerves had gotten the best of me and that I was now extremely embarrased. They discussed a dance audition but ruled it out cause I have done hip hop in the past (and that if i loved hip hop dancing ill love the 80's). I rambled on a bit saying that I its a lot easier to get up infront of a crowd and sing karaoke which I do all the time.. they agreed that it is easier. Wendy told me that the rehersals will start next week and they will let me know what day.

I doubt I got a role with such a disasterous audition but im guessing im in chorus which as Matts mum Lynn reminded me was what I was going for in the 1st place... So now its a wait for an email telling me how ive done. they are having another load of Auditions on Thursday night so maybe the weekend or monday ill know.

At least its a start anyway. not like im going for Australian Idol or anything. otherwise everyone at home would have had a great laugh over the state of my singing. lol.

Ill keep you up todate

peace and love

Claire

5 comments:

  1. This read like what I feel like doing job interviews, and made me think that you often do better than you realize. Oh, and this is Brian, BTW. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are often our own worst critics. I agree with Brian - you may have very well done a lot better than what you think. Don't be too hard on yourself. It was your first audition. I'm sure every single one of the people who get a part have done it dozens of times, and started out right where you did. You've got to start somewhere, right? Well done sweetie. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sorry!! It was me....Jude! :D xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I have done shockingly at every audition I've ever gone for, and 9 out of 10 times I ended up getting the role! Its like the fear just takes over, and you can't accurately judge yourself on how well you did or didn't do, but you got a spot in the chorus so I bet you did much better than you think!

    It does get easier with time. You just survived your first audition! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jude I thought it was you cause of the sweetie. but then i could have been 2 other people. but i was sure it was you.

    Kim. Thanks, Im sure it wasnt that bad. it just felt it :(. not actually too sure if im in the chorus but fingers crossed. they may have just been polite

    ReplyDelete