Monday, February 7, 2011

"Oh, I love my Life and All that Jazz!!!!"

Many of you know where the title of my Blog comes from and how its associated with me. Others will know that im refering to the song from "Chicago" and the rest will just asume im using it as a figure of speach.

As many of you know I am a huge fan of musicals. I have been from a very young age. I used to love when christmas rolled around cause for some bizzare reason thats the time of year they are always on. Every Christmas meant that I could see Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music" and "Mary Poppins" or Doris Day in "Calamity Jane", plus other favourites like "Hans Christian Anderson", "Annie", "Oliver",  and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". I Just loved how they would burst into song to tell a story or express a feeling.

Primary school thaught me "Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat". When I reached secondary school I was introduced to "Les Miserables", "Porgy and Bess" , "Phantom of the Opera", "Fiddler on the Roof", "The Wiz", "Oklahoma" etc.. Curiosity introduced me to "Wicked" and Hollywood gave me "Chicago".

I loved to sing, but I was never very confident. I took part in every school choir for my 5 years in secondary school. I was a member of the Dublin Secondary Schoolgirls choir twice preforming in the National concert Hall. I was in the chorus of school productions of "Annie" and "Fiddler on the Roof". I loved it. There is something fun and exciting about being part of a show. Even if one is only in the Chorus. For my Leaving Cert Music practical I sang "On My Own" Les Miserables, "My favourite Things" Sound of Music and "All I ask of you" from Phantom or the Opera.

I hated singing in front of people I didnt know, I prefared to sing in goups so people couldnt hear me. My music teacher Ms Campbell told me I had a good voice but having spent my whole life feeling talentless and being told it I didnt think that was a time to start believing it. I knew I had a talent for the piano. I started lessons when I was 13 and 8 months later I sat my grade 1 exam. I skipped 3 grades. Even with the piano I didnt like people to hear me play.

After secondary school I wanted to join a Musical Society but never did. I would never get up to sing Karaoke. Apart from that one time in BOI when i was made too. Some of my colleagues said I was the best that night but I didnt believe them. I still dont.

I went to see Chicago on Broadway in 2006 and it blew me away. It quickly became my favourite musical.

When I moved to Australia, I used to sit up stairs when the Karaoke was on in kellys. Then I got to know the host Arran and he eventually convinced me (with a little bit of help from my sister Niamh) after 3 months to sing a song. it was a quiet night so I sang Zombie. It sounded good although my nerves shun through.  so i tried it again another night. I got to know other regulars at Karaoke and started trying new songs. I eventually became obsessed and as I was single I would go to different venues where guys I knew through kellys were hosting. You couldnt get me away from a mic (which funny enough, I went to a fortune teller in the george st mall in dublin who once told me that I loved to sing and one day I would get the confidence i needed and i would get up on stage and that would be it I wouldnt never stop. I just needed the boost. guess she got something right.)

 One night at The Royal Hotel in Leichhardt. Jason thought it would be a great idea for myself and Jayne to swap songs. She would sing "I want you to want me" which was one of my songs and I was to do "All that Jazz" one of her songs that I had wanted to try but I have this thing were if its someone elses song I dont like to do it. Anyways I nailed it. I couldnt believe it. I hit notes I wasnt sure I would hit and with the strenght I needed. That must have been about 2 years ago and it has since become my signature song. Hence the All that Jazz in the title of my blog.

I kept thinking that I would love to join a Musical Society over here now that I have gotten the confidence to sing in front of people. (dont get me wrong, I still get nervous, espically at new venues, trying new songs and around close friends and family who havent heard me sing before. recently I had a showtunes birthday party and i worked on "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, the first time I sang through the whole song i was shaking like that guy in "something about Marys" leg when he tried to pick his keys off the ground) I Have made a number of amazing friend who all are members of a number of musical societies on the north side of the city.  But I wanted to go somewhere close to home. I discoved that Ashfield has a society and after months of himing and hawing I emailed them in November.

Just over a week ago I got a response inviting me to Audition for the upcoming show "Back to the 80's". Its an Australian musical featuring some great hits from the 80's. I contacted them and arranged my Audition. Which believe it or not is tonight. Im a nervous wreck. They convinced me to sing something I know and am comfortable with. They want to hear my range not the song so ill be singing "on my own". I said I was interested in only the chorus but friends said I should try for a part, Im happy with either although Ive never acted before so that maybe a problem. plus there is a possibility of a dance autition if they like me. eek.

I feel like this is going to be my creative year. Being unemployed has really made me think about what I want in life and also now that im 28 its time to grab the bull by its horns and do things I want to do instead of regreting it later (also before I start a family of my own cause then ill have no time for me). So fingers crossed for me peeps. Ill keep you updated on the outcome.


"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." — Eleanor Roosevelt


Claire

Poster from my birthday party

4 comments:

  1. A little bit of help? hahaha! I think i egged you on by saying if you get up i'll get up with you. :p you got up and i stayed sitting! :D All you needed was a good bit of persuading! And i mean a good bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, watch me... leg it out the side door! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pffit you know they close that before karaoke starts.

    ReplyDelete